Southern Hospitality

After presenting at King of Glory Lutheran Church in Williamsburg, VA, on Sunday, June 24, I unexpectedly found myself with four and a half days to fill on my own. Until Rev. Bill Harmon learned the situation, that is. As he introduced me at each of KoG's three services, he invited members to host me for meals, take me sightseeing, etc.; they willingly answered the call. I helped with VBS in the mornings, and my afternoons and evenings were all but boring. I felt so surrounded by Christian love & "southern hospitality!" Here's a peek at some of what occupied my time.

Colonial Williamsburg: I elected not to purchase an admission ticket, but I did wander the historic area on Sunday afternoon and saw KoG member Lindsey in the Fifes & Drums March. The whole group is made up of high school students!

Governor's Palace



I was a crew leader for five "Red Pelicans." Together, we had fun being "Shipwrecked" but rescued by Jesus. Speaking of high school students, two high school interns coordinated the entire VBS, which was hyper-organized if you ask me. 

Tuesday's lunch before exploring the Jamestown Settlement: Virginia peanut soup. Not bad (if you agree with me that peanut butter should be a food group). 

The ship I'm on and the two behind me brought 105 colonists across the Atlantic in 1604 with only one casualty. Pretty incredible!

I was thoroughly impressed with the Jamestown Settlement museum, recreations of a Powhatan village and the British fort, and the aforementioned ships. I spent three and a half hours there and probably could have spent longer. 

Dinner party #2 of 3, at the home of Church Council president Charlie Raphael and his wife Sally. 

Finishing my visa application before VBS on Wednesday morning at a cute downtown coffee shop. 

Thomas Jefferson & I in Market Square, a few blocks of shops and restaurants that connect Colonial Williamsburg with the campus of William & Mary. 

After a HOT Thursday afternoon at Busch Gardens thanks to a free ticket from a KoG member, I met up with the wood shop ministry team for dinner and to witness them in action. They make crosses and other fixtures for the church building, crosses that member families can purchase as a fundraiser, and crosses that are given free of charge to visitors and anyone that is baptized or celebrates First Communion. I even got put to work!


Until next time, blessings!

Comments