Thank you and Farewell

You wouldn't have found me anywhere other than St. Paul's last weekend, my final one in the States before deployment. I was again invited to address the congregation, with a pure and simple message: thank you and farewell. I structured my thoughts around a countdown, of sorts:

28: years I've been a member
18: homes stayed in (other than my own) during network building
10 (ish): countries to which I'll be responsible for sending mission trips
10: states in which I had speaking engagements
6: flights taken during network building
5: cars rented during network building
4: days until I leave
3: months since my first Mission Minute

And finally, 1:

There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. (Ephesians 4: 4-6, emphasis added)

My excitement can't hide the fact that I'm going to miss worshiping with the church family that has watched me mature into someone ready and willing to take on the most challenging and rewarding thing I'll ever do, but the one Spirit that unites us transcends geographical boundaries. The one God and Father of all is the same in Des Peres, MO, as he is on the Caribbean island I now call home. 


Sunday afternoon, my family hosted a reception for me as a forum to say "hasta luego" to family and friends. I hugged and talked for three straight hours without even realizing how much time had elapsed; my introverted self needed to decompress afterwards! 

We squeezed some extra mileage out of decorations from my last day at CPH and my presentation at Christ Lutheran Church in Boulder City, NV!




Everyone had to sign the Cardinals pennant, which I'll hang proudly in my new home somewhere. 

 The menu consisted of all things St. Louis: BBQ pulled pork, toasted ravioli, soft pretzels, gooey butter cookies, waffle cones (Drumsticks), iced tea, and Anheuser Busch products. My sister made the adorable bunting using postcards, Cardinals ticket stubs, and Muny program covers.

Needless to say, it was a big weekend that basically consumed the week before in getting everything ready. No rest for the weary, though; it was time to pack! To be continued...

Until next time, blessings!

Comments