Wheels!

As of Wednesday afternoon...I've got wheels!

For reasons I won't go into, the Hyundai Cantus* is the most suitable make and model for most DR-based missionaries, even single ones. I knew this prior to deployment, so car "shopping" was fast and furious. I went to look at two Cantuses on Friday: a new one with just the basics and a used (barely - it's a 2017 with just 30,000 km) "fully loaded" one for nearly 20% less. The price differential and the fact that the used one still smelled new made the choice easy. I'm not mad about the backup camera, though.

A few business days to wrap up some paperwork later, it was ready for me to drive off the lot.


And park in my garage. 

If you're wondering about

...drivers' licenses, I'm not 100% sure how this will play out. Foreign licenses are valid for 90 days every time you enter the country. I'm within that now, and the window will reset when I go to Puerto Rico in November. After that, I'd need to transfer my Missouri license to a Dominican one. The hiccup there is that it's issued at the state level and not the federal level, so the Dominican government doesn't recognize it. To apply for a new Dominican license, I'd need a form of ID I'm not eligible to get until I've lived here 5 years. The other missionaries that drive have either lived here long enough or travel often enough that their 90 days hardly ever expire. Unless I book another trip before mid-February, though...???

...insurance, this is paid just like in the US, annually or on a payment plan for a nominal extra fee.

...registration, all Dominican drivers renew this annually at the same time of year, regardless of the vehicle purchase date. Physically, it takes the form of a windshield sticker called a MARBETE, available at any branch of a local bank chain. The following year's MARBETE becomes available on 10/1. The longer you wait, the longer the line gets. I'll be able to get my 2019 one in a few weeks, once the document stating I actually own the car has been processed and sent to me.

...gas, it's extremely expensive at over $4/gallon (yes, it's measured in gallons). Gas prices are regulated by the government, so they're the same no matter which station you fill up at...er...have the attendant fill your tank at. No self-serve pumps here! It's not common for cars to transfer hands with a full tank, but the dealership owner was kind enough to fill mine. It only had 17 km 'til empty when I test drove it, so I asked multiple times if they were going to fill it up before I was clued in!

Yesterday I took Jo, my fellow missionary and friend, to get her residency application photos taken and pick up some groceries. Since that's not very exciting, I'll consider my car's maiden voyage last night's popsicle run to Paletas Bajo Cero. You pick your flavor (some with fillings like Nutella and dulce de leche), then decide if you want it dipped in chocolate or white chocolate and rolled in sprinkles, nuts, chocolate shavings, even salted caramel pearls. Yum!

Jamielynn, Jo, me, and Natalie. 

Next up: learn a) my way around; and b) how to drive like a dominicana. The concept is easy: use your horn more than your turn signal. The execution takes a little getting used to. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in a Dominican drivers' ed course!

I pray that my newfound mobility will enhance my service to the Church as I tote people and things around as needed. I've been the beneficiary of so many rides to and from the airport, church, and various events near and far that I'm eager to return the favor and then some. 

Lastly, I'm currently taking name suggestions. I've never been one to christen my vehicles, but if I get a worthwhile submission, I'm open to the idea. 

Until next time, blessings!

*Interestingly, "Cantus" is unique to the DR, as is its alias, ix25. Elsewhere, it's known as the Creta.

Comments