Dios Bendiga Este Hogar

Dr. Naumann, our regional chaplain, did a house blessing for me last Monday! 

For those unfamiliar with the rite, found in both the English and Spanish versions of Pastoral Care Companion, it consists of formally inviting God into one's dwelling and asking Him to bless the various spaces in the home in specific ways related to their functions; I've been to a handful of other missionaries.' While my house isn't "done," I've lived here since September, so I figured, why wait any longer? The next two weeks are going to be a circus, and the summer months are peppered with home service, vacations, and short-term teams. 

Housewarming gift from missionary friends - my pastor and his wife! - Rev. Sergio & Lilian. 




The kitchen (OK...dining room, since my kitchen is too small for everyone) was the last stop, where we concluded by singing the doxology. Being me, I had snacks to share, so most people stayed around for a bit. Freddy of course made himself scarce, but I still got up and closed the front door at least a dozen times as people milled in and out. Among the guests was Rev. Sergio Maita, whose family lived here before me. Having also held a house blessing, he raised an interesting question: can you "re-bless" a house? Maybe you need to "de-bless" it first, similar to how we deconsecrated Pueblo Nuevo's old location before dedicating the new one? I'm not going to think too hard about that. Can't have TOO much blessing, I guess. 

Speaking of which, happy [early, in the DR...we have 2 more weeks] Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Until next time, blessings!

Comments