Todo el mundo

Todo el mundo ("the whole world") is the Spanish equivalent of the sarcasm-laden "everybody and their brother/grandma/dog." In this case, though, I really do mean the whole world, or at least the whole of Latin America! My silence over the past week or so was due to the second annual theological symposium hosted by Concordia the Reformer Seminary (CMSCR). It brought 70+ people from at least a dozen countries together around God's Word to seek understanding and synergy. 

                                      


Rev. Joel Fritsche, director of CMSCR, addressing the crowd during the official opening. 

I wasn't really sure what a "symposium" was, other than an all-hands-on-deck Big Deal. Turns out the basic premise is the public reading of academic papers on a given theme (Comfort for God's People in the Midst of Suffering, in this case). True confession: I don't "get" it, but I'm also not the target audience 🤷 Of more interest to me were the presentations in between said readings - opportunities for both missionaries and guests to share about how the Church is expanding and the next generation of leaders is being raised up here in the Dominican and around the world.

Regional Director Ted Krey highlighting the work of OIM across its 125 year history. 

First time guests from Haiti enlightening us about work happening on the other side of the island. 

A panel discussion rounded out the agenda. 

I settled comfortably into the role of overseeing lodging and transportation, which began weeks prior as invitations went out and RSVPs began to roll in. Of course I turned to Excel to help manage mountains of data, hence The Spreadsheet was born. I've referenced its enormity before; here's a glimpse at what has got to be my most frequently opened document since its April 10 creation.  


People kept thanking me, which seemed incongruous since "Symposium" was a true team effort, and all I really did was...my job. I wasn't here for the inaugural symposium last May, but I was honestly amazed at how everyone and everything came together. It was chaotic at times as could be expected, but I could sense the efficacy of the many prayers I knew were being lifted up on our behalf. 

Normally meals would fall into my "logistics" wheelhouse, too, but since this was such a massive undertaking, I was thankful for CMSCR secretary Clara's leadership. She really outdid herself in terms of menu and efficiency. 

I was amazed, too, at how well we adhered to the publicized agenda. The Jeopardy! music beckoned everyone back to the conference room after breaks and meals, followed by a door prize drawing you had to be present to win. Even so, a few spontaneous, tender moments squeezed their way in. 

Recognizing the 40th anniversary of fellow missionary Cheryl's consecration as a deaconess. 

The president of the Lutheran church in Paraguay presenting a monetary gift to the president of the Lutheran church in Venezuela. "Symposium" defined, if you ask me!

A night out to celebrate fellow missionary Johanna's birthday!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad it was over. I was getting a teeny bit tired of answering the same question multiple times by the last day. Most of the guests left yesterday; a busload that didn't went to the beach, but I opted for cleaning, laundry, and reading. Reflecting upon the past few days, I'm already thinking of things we could improve for next year but also in awe of the magnitude of what we just pulled off by the grace of a God who does all things well. To Him be the glory! I leave you with an image that cracked me up ALL week. 

Pastors from Nicaragua, Cuba, and Costa Rica taking advantage of the strongest WiFi signal in the building!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments