Springvegas

Getting close! We're on my 2nd to last stop: Springfield, MO, affectionately known to some as Springvegas. I went to college there and graduated 13 years ago; this was the first time since then that I've done more than wave as I passed by on I-44. Two things stuck out to me. First, I felt like everything was new; I hardly recognized once familiar routes. Second, I still have more connections there than I thought I did!

I had three engagements lined up: 1) Prayer & Praise at the Lutheran Student Center (LSC); 2) chapel at Springfield Lutheran School (SLS); and 3) a presentation at Redeemer Lutheran Church. 

I rolled into town - in my Nissan ;) - on Tuesday in time to join the LSCers for dinner, provided by Trinity Lutheran Church, before announcements, singing, and my presentation, which I customized with some throwback photos of my LSC days and, as I had done while on campus at CUNE, opportunities for future short- and long-term missionary service. 

Photo credit: Ron ("Moses") Merritt, former LCMS missionary to Nigeria, Lutheran school administrator, and friend of the LSC during my era...and my gracious host along with his wife Kathy. 

Wednesday morning, I headed to SLS for chapel. They've adopted the 2022 LCMS Youth Gathering theme, "In all things," for the year. The principal had given me some notes to use as inspiration if I so desired; inspired indeed, I wrote a new message called "Last of all" that I gave at SLS and anywhere I had also done chapel during my pre-deployment network-building so as not to repeat what the kids had heard three years ago. 



Collecting chapel offerings for the Chile Mission!

With the rest of my day free, I made a beeline for one of my old haunts, a Christian coffeeshop called Potter's House. Back in the day, I used to go with friends every Thursday at 10 pm. 


I did not "get my joe at the PoHo," I got an Oreo Quicksand, which was as delicious as I remember. 

That afternoon, I had booked a campus tour of my alma mater, Drury University. Four years of tuition is worth that, right? My tour guide Ahilyn walked me along her normal prospective student route while I marveled at buildings that had been renovated...or built!...since I last set foot on campus and peppered her with questions as memories flooded back. 

The personalized parking sign was only the beginning; I also got a free T-shirt, lanyard, and bag of Panther popcorn (chocolate, cherry, and vanilla flavored).


My picture is still on the wall of my freshman dorm! After the tour, I wandered about on my own and photographed each of the other places I lived.

Speaking of Drury...Wednesday night I drove to Farmington, AR, to spend the remainder of the week with my college roommate Carrie. It was like nothing had changed. Carrie owns her own music therapy practice and is the worship leader at her church. Ask me about the snake in the sanctuary when I tagged along to praise team practice with her!

Saturday afternoon, I had one of the worst drives of my life back to Springfield in a torrential downpour that saw me pull over to the left shoulder for 10 min. or so when I could see nothing and was shaking so badly I knew I couldn't go on. God's holy angels were certainly with me and granted me safe passage the rest of the way. That night, Ron and Kathy arranged a dinner in my honor at a local Peruvian place! I've been to PERU but never a Peruvian restaurant even though there's one in St. Louis AND one in Santiago! Sunday morning, I did "Mission Minutes" at Redeemer's traditional and contemporary services and gave my final presentation of Home Service 2021 at Bible class in between. 


LSCers and friends: (L to R) Phil & Sabrina; Donna & Hannah; me; Kathy & Ron. 

I jetted out as soon as I could after church because there was a ticket to Toby Mac's Hits Deep concert with my name on it! The best part was witnessing superfan Iszy (back row, center)'s joy as, on her feet the whole time, she belted out the words to every song. 


Sunday was a loooooooong day, but I had wisely refrained from making plans for Monday & Tuesday, my last days in St. Louis. A few errands, Jeopardy, Scrabble, packing, Andy's pumpkin pie concretes, and it was off to VA for the epic conclusion of 9 weeks in the US. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments