Greentree Weekend

I identify as a St. Louisan, but more specifically, I grew up in the charming suburb of Kirkwood. Kirkwood boasts an iconic stone train station, a quaint downtown, and every September, the Greentree Festival, so named for Kirkwood's many stately oaks, sweetgums, maples, and elms. 

The main event is a parade on Saturday morning - the kind where any entry worth its salt throws candy for kids - but an epic craft fair in Kirkwood Park runs from Friday night through Sunday afternoon. My family went every year when I was growing up; one year my Girl Scout troop even marched in the parade. 

Somehow, I swung actually being in St. Louis for Greentree weekend 2021, and, amidst a pandemic, the city pulled off both the parade and fair. As you can see, I had a few other things going on so I missed the parade (my nephew shared some of his three gallon Ziplocs of candy with me), but I made it a point to walk to the park and browse the fair booths. I didn't buy a thing, but cherished traditions that radiate small town vibes make my heart happy. 

Fueling up on dinner out with my brother and sister-in-law at one of their favorite places. Afterwards, we tried to partake in another September standby, the Balloon Glow in Forest Park, but got ice cream instead when parking turned out to be a bear. 

Saturday morning, I was booked at their church, a mission plant called Arise. 

Over a casual breakfast, I chatted about what God has called me to do in Latin America & the Caribbean with Pastor Jake (left) and representatives from the Elders, Global Outreach Team, and Prayer Team. 

Arise has a corkboard map with a pin for each of its overseas mission interests, including, now, the DR!

What a gorgeous, if hot, day to be outside!

Saturday evening and Sunday morning, I spoke at Ascension Lutheran Church. Ascension is about 5 min. from where I lived in south St. Louis city for the 5 years leading up to my deployment, so it became my "home away from home church," especially for midweek Lent and Advent services. It's a study in being a church on mission: it supports four missionaries and has an ongoing partnership with Christian Friends of New Americans, to the extent that portions of the late service's bulletin are printed in Nepalese. 

Sunday afternoon, I drove 2 hrs. and 15 min. back across the Mississippi to speak at a new (to me) congregation: Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Petersburg, IL. Turns out it's just down the road from historic New Salem, where Abraham Lincoln lived from 1831-1837. I went on a field trip there in 5th grade!

Exciting things happening on the 19th ;)

 
Me, Pastor Gross (2nd from left), and the rest of the Bethlehem crew in front of their dartball board. I'd never heard of dartball, but they're serious about it! 

Tomorrow is my last day in St. Louis. Wednesday morning, I fly to VA to visit my best friend, and from there, back to the DR a week from today. No promises between now and when I get back, but whenever I can catch a spare chunk of time, I'll continue catching you up on where else I've been. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments