I Live in a Storage Unit

The day after I returned from Higher Things, I moved - Just from my 2nd floor temporary apartment to a 1st floor temporary apartment in the same building, but all of the furniture and housewares from upstairs came with me, hence the title. 

While I was in Montana, a crew of seminarians had come and and cleared out everything except my personal effects, so I came "home" to an empty unit. The next morning, I was downstairs by 6:00 am to start cleaning since alas, arranging for someone to do so in advance proved more difficult than anticipated. I had put out a plea for reinforcements around 10, and they showed up right on schedule. I enjoyed watching them carry things I'd forgotten I owned, but there may have been a few overwhelmed tears when the water quit on me and I looked around at the chaos knowing I wouldn't rest until order was restored. A little pizza and beer, a few hugs and words of encouragement, five botellones of tap water for cleaning, a shower, and a hot meal later...home might not be sweet but it's home for now. I paint better pictures with words than video, so scroll down for a "virtual" tour of my new digs. 

Peep my washing machine "end table" behind the all-occasion tree

Look at the view from my balcony while you can, because those curtains are closed most of the time. I feel far more vulnerable at street level and refuse to leave my phone or computer lying around in the living room if I so much as go to the bathroom. 

Note the two dining room tables, and one of my two refrigerators in the corner of the dining room. 

It's a little eerie how similar this unit is to the one upstairs. I see it in the kitchen most of all. 

I was worried about getting used to a Dominican-style washing machine, but so far it hasn't given me any problems. In fact, unlike mine, and although it might take hours, it'll finish its cycle even when the water pressure is just a trickle. 

Pandemic art by former occupant Courtney Zalmanoff.

Storage room #1. 

My original plan was to shower in this bathroom, but when I went to scrub it, I discovered a major clog. There's STILL greenish (from the Comet) standing water that I'm hoping my go-to handyman can come resolve this week. 

Storage room #2. Moral of the story: ain't nobody staying with me anytime soon. 

Master bedroom. True confessions: I made my bed for the photo. I don't normally!

Closet and master bath. This sink is missing the cold water knob, which I'm hoping the same handyman can resolve in the same visit. The shower is pretty great, though (by my standards), so between the two bathrooms I have a complete working one. For the record, the hot water knob does work. 

One of the spots Freddy's claimed. After a near escape on the day of the initial clean out, I thought he'd be traumatized and hate me, but one of the things I love about cats is they don't hold grudges; he's his normal, loving, adaptable self. 

Next time I move will hopefully be the last, I just can't say where or when. I have 2 viable options:

1. Rafael & Jamielynn's house. They're waiting on Chilean visas before they relocate so that Rafael can serve a yearlong vicarage leading to ordination, but there's no telling how long those will take. 

2. My old house. I moved in the first place so my landlord had a place to live while she remodeled her house, and she finally is! If she finishes before the visas arrive, or will finish reasonably soon after, perhaps this whole hellish year plus a few months will land me right back where I'd really like to be. 

For now, I'm glad to be here after having returned from LAC's annual regional conference in Punta Cana a few hours ago. It sounds, and is, luxurious, but sun, rich food and lots of it, mentally stimulating Bible study content, and late nights of shooting the breeze with colleagues catches up with you. More on our week and its "Lights for the World" theme soon. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments