Making Spirits Bright

I saw a post on Instagram recently about normalizing holiday-themed parties in the slow, frigid (in the Northern Hemisphere), depressing Q1 months: a white elephant gift exchange in January, a cookie exchange in March, etc. Honestly, I'm down.  

But...I'm also not going to say no to

"Wanna host a kids party with me, the morning of the 16th? Mission kids (aka kreys) and sem kids?"

and I'd been saving 5 boxes of clear glass globe ornaments for a Christmas ladies' craft night since the 2021 LAC regional conference

Sounds like my idea of a merry and bright weekend, even in the midst of the madness that is December. 

Tirzah played host to the more ~chaotic~ of the two gatherings. I helped her set out everything for the littles in our neighborhood to make ornaments, decorate sugar cookies, decorate a gingerbread house, watch a Christmas movie, and of course eat copious amounts of sugar that led to both extremes: passing out on the couch while watching said movie in some cases, pillow fighting in others!

Jhina, Jhudi, and Jhandi (Bolivia) with mom Edith. 

Azariah started a trend of making a trail mix-like concoction out of the cookie and house decorating supplies. To be clear, no cookie!

Valeria (Venezuela). 

Valeria's brother Jesús Daniel made Grinch faces. 

Moms (like May [Mexico])...

...and hostesses got in on the fun. 

Featured film: Scrooge. 
Bonus feature: Klaus

I mentioned a gingerbread house. Tirzah MADE it. From scratch. Using a recipe that called for 2 c. of molasses (!!!) and 10 1/2 cups of flour (!!!). It turned out beautifully, but graham crackers are more my speed if left to my own devices. 

Tirzah reported that the house made it to church in the morning unscathed...and was promptly devoured.

The log pile in the backyard made out of trimmings was my idea. 

Ladies' night was more ~intimate~ than I was expecting, but an eclectic group of us including missionaries, seminary wives, one of our in-house language institute professors, and a soon-to-be new missionary enjoyed snacks and drinks (I made - count 'em - four new recipes), the aforementioned ornament craft, and a dice game gift exchange. 


I wound up with a serving tray, which I put Reese's peanut butter cup stuffed Oreo balls on and these on at lunch today. 


And with that, friends, merry Christmas and happy New Year. I'm heading to the airport around noon tomorrow to spend 12 days in Charleston, SC, with my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew, and I'm not taking my computer. I'm going to feel naked, but it'll be a healthy break; I can keep my The New York Times crossword streak alive on my phone :)

Until next time (2024!), blessings in Christ!

Comments