Un Solo Fundamento

I had a family from church over for dinner back at the beginning of October: Owen, Val, and their three teenaged kids. Anticipating the multi-point trip I'd leave on that week, I asked Owen if he could temporarily cover my church treasury duties. It was then that it dawned on me: I was only going to be at Cordero de Dios three more Sundays for the rest of the year.

Tomorrow is one of those Sundays. Although I'll probably be welcomed like a visitor since I won't have been at "my" church in months, I've been worshiping at "my" Church in many and various places:

Iglesia Luterana Redentor, Panama City, Panama [displaced to the Lutheran Hour Ministries office due to ongoing sanctuary renovations], with a team from Grand Haven, MI | October 8, 2023

St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Des Peres, MO [via Facebook Live, on a bus on the way to Nasca] | October 15, 2023

BONUS! Iglesia Luterana de La Victoria, Lima, Peru, with Peru FORO participants | Saturday, October 21, 2023


Iglesia Luterana de Los Olivos, Lima, Peru, again as a FORO circle | October 22, 2023

Faith (top) and St. Andrew (bottom) Lutheran Churches, Kingston, Jamaica, with Jamaica FORO participants | October 29, 2023

St. John Lutheran Church, Seward, NE, having arrived early for the Volunteer Coordinators Conference | November 5, 2023

Iglesia Luterana de San Borja, Lima, Peru | November 12, 2023

BONUS! Iglesia Luterana de La Victoria, with a team from Burnsville, MN | November 18, 2023

Iglesia Luterana de San Borja, Lima, Peru, again with the MN team | November 19, 2023 (my birthday!)

BONUS! San Pablo Lutheran Church, El Paso, TX | Thursday, November 23, 2023 [Thanksgiving Day]

San Pablo Lutheran Church, El Paso, TX | November 30, 2023

The hymn "The Church's One Foundation" has taken on new meaning to me being here, especially when we - members, seminarians, and often visitors representing multiple nationalities - sing it in Spanish, in a missional context that's endured a revolving door of missionaries for years and withstood the Evil One's attacks on all sides, seated in plastic chairs, in a rented space, to the strains of an MP3 recording, for instance. It'll never get old; it'll never stop giving me goosebumps or reminding me that in Christ we have un solo fundamento. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments