I Planned it Like That

Well, not completely. 

Maybe somewhere deep down I knew the Concordia Seminary St. Louis (CSL) team's arrival day was a holiday in honor of one of the DR's patron virgins, but I was totally taken aback by the sight approaching Parque Colón, the meeting spot for our 4:30 pm street art walking tour. 

Not only could I not park in one of my normal angled spots along the edge of the park, I had to wade from a paid lot a couple blocks away through swarms of vendors selling cold drinks, empanadas, quipes, and religious icons to find an entrance that was open. 


The park itself was packed, too. What the...?


It alllllll made sense when I noticed the church - Nuestra Sra. de la Altagracia - bore the name of the virgin in question. 


Gotta love unplanned cultural experiences, even when they make dropping off and subsequently meeting up with 13 estadounidenses who don't speak Spanish and were operating on very little sleep by this point a bit of a challenge. Thankfully, I've done the tour enough to know where the recycling mural with the flying dog wearing a drone is when the guide suggested we meet there. 



I did know that every Sunday afternoon, the people of Los Pepines block off a certain intersection and take to the pavement, so I wasn't mad when it worked out for our tour to coincide with a Cuban son dance party. 



Andrew was a great sport about being dragged from our vantage point on the sidelines into the action. 


Aaaaaaand back to virgin veneration...a float procession went by as we continued on our way. 


I also knew we'd get to see some costumed Carnaval dancers. Donny tried his hand - literally - at the whip technique. 


Tour guide Juan Carlos (left), the CSL team & I, and the dancers. 

Rev. Carlos & Deac. Danelle Putnam-Schumann were gracious enough to feed the team a delicious pulled pork feast on night #1, and regale them with missionary stories, dating back, in Danelle's case, to the origins of the Dominican Republic Lutheran Mission in 2005. 




Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments