From East to West

From East to West is s fitting title for my blog about University (Purdue is the University) Lutheran Church, seeing as though it was the theme song of their African-themed VBS, and because one of their participants was a visiting scholar from Harbin, China. The group actually did quite a bit more than VBS, although the 305 total children (94 unique) they saw took up the bulk of their time when you include prep time. We were a little shocked to see attendance DOUBLE from Monday to Tuesday, but it held stead in the high 60's/low 70's for the rest of the week, even the day of Mexico's World Cup game vs. France.

I didn't have the heart to tell them they were actually pointing from West to East!

My job was registration. Every day but Friday (fiesta!!!), I assigned each child a certain animal, which corresponded to their lesson for that day.

Rachel (from China) was my helper. She is just beginning to learn the Christian faith and was unsure for a long time whether or not she should even come on the trip, but turned out to be a Godsend, to me and the whole team!

Each "teacher" taught the same lesson (and craft) every day; it was the kids who rotated. Most VBS teams teach one story to the large group each day but this method made much more sense and seemed to work amazingly well for the most part. Sam had the monkeys, which were randomly really popular one day and created one crazy busy table each day for the remainder of the week.

The giraffe represented sharing as the kids learned the story of Philip and the Ethiopian. I guess I hadn't really thought about it before but Nancy, the group leader who was in charge of the giraffe station, said it was a particularly difficult story to teach to kids who don't know who Philip is, where Ethiopia is, or what baptism is!

The giraffe is watching you...

Sand art at the zebra station.


Shaved ice at the place by Wal-Mart!

Any good VBS has games, like the parachute! Unfortunately there were too many screaming kids to play any sort of orderly game with it, but they all had fun waving it up and down anyways.

Junior and Alejandra Morales came for a few of the days...here they are ready to play musical chairs.

The biggest game of musical chairs I have ever seen...

...and by far the most chaotic!

Duck, duck, goose was a popular one too.

Little Nataly Maldonado was everyone's favorite cutie all week.

Haley and her meercats. Notice how the size of the tables has grown significantly?

The kids adored Rachel...they wanted to know everything about China.

She even taught those who preferred quieter activities--including a couple boys--how to knit!


Group picture on the last day.

I think I mentioned in a previous blog that I was making Amish Friendship Bread. If not, I made Amish Friendship bread! Each batch makes two loaves so I shared with the group one night at dinner. I bake again tomorrow, and I'm going to add walnuts and chocolate chips this time. Then I'm going to end the cycle...unless anyone in El Paso wants another starter.

John and I are clearly friends now.

Let's not forget...
1) Health checks/CPR classes, also held at the Sparks Community Center which were for some reason, not nearly as popular as last year. It was probably my fault--I made these very attractive flyers and sign-up sheets and gave them to the office ladies. However, I did this about a month out and they subsequently lost them! We did manage to do a little last minute PR though, so Ashley (nursing student) did 11 health checks, and Nancy taught CPR to a mom and her 3 daughters. I am pleased to report that Ashley checked my BP and glucose as well and gave me a clean bill of health...that was before I came down with strep a couple days later...hmmm... ;)

2)Painting the inside of building #6. The colors? Appropriately for a kitchen/dining hall, Gourmet Mushroom and Chocolate Pudding--bon appetit!

Ashley and Sam.

Chata and China helping us!

But Camila was too tired!

I took the group to Scenic Drive one night...it never really gets old for me.

Sam, Rachel, Haley, Ashley, and I.

We also went to El Paso Connection and Cattleman's, but no pictures. El Paso Connection was a first for me, although I know some groups like it as an alternative to the market in Juarez. There is lots of furniture--most of it emblazoned with the Lone Star!--lots of supersized and incredibly photogenic lawn ornaments, and the usual run of pottery, blankets, leather goods, vanilla, cowboy hats, etc....it was a good time. Oh and if you're wondering, I am feeling MUCH better. The antibiotics really started working after about 24 hours and by now I'm pretty much back to normal. I've been in the office all week, although I still wouldn't share a glass with me!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Carrie said…
I love the fact that you are STILL wearing the Charles t-shirt from freshman year!
tchrchill said…
Looks like a very productive week for University. I love reading your blogs and seeing all the pics of what the various groups do.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Word verification word: radvenzp, now that's a tough one. Let's see:

If I radvenzp all the paperwork now, I won't have to pznevdar it later! (I know, WEAK!)
chill said…
No, but I told them they were pointing backwards. And you see, it isn't just me that makes fun of your shirts from 10 years ago. :)