Spontaneous Saturday

After running errands all Saturday morning, I looked at my phone and saw I had a message from David Garcia; we built the Garcia family two houses over the summer. Turns out he was inviting me to their youngest daughter Nadia's 6th birthday party, which was that afternoon! A little last minute, but I guess their grown son had my number in Juarez so they had to wait until they could get a hold of him to call me. It's all good though...not like I had anything better to do. Everything I had planned could wait til Sunday, so I finished up my load of laundry, ran out to get a quick present, and headed on over. It was just what I expected, since I have noticed that Hispanic birthday parties tend to have the same general components--the whole extended family, LOTS of food, an inflatable bouncy house thing (the Garcias have a trampoline instead), a pinata, and goodie bags. I wound up being there for almost 6 hours, which also didn't surprise me in the least!

The Garcia girls and I.

Playing some weird game--like a relay race to see who could pop the most balloons with their butt in 30 seconds or something.

Nadia hitting the pinata. Funny story--a couple of years ago Luz and David got one of the girls a pinata of whatever character they were obsessed with at the time for her birthday, but the girls loved the character so much that they didn't want to break the pinata!

Dora hitting the pinata.

Elizabeth hitting the (one-legged) pinata.

David hitting the pinata...none of the kids could deliver the final blow and decapitate her, so they had to bring in the big guns.

Nadia eyeing her cake...

...BEFORE sticking her face in it (she ate that piece)!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments