It

Ever have that feeling that Someone is trying to tell you something?

Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. (Psalm 37:5)

That verse has come up on three completely unrelated occasions between Friday and today:

1. The regional women's discussion group I'm a part of. We call ourselves Las Conquistadoras (The Conquerors). We're nearing the end of a book study on But Now I See. On Friday, Chapter 6 guided us through a discussion about staying the course in pursuing God's chosen path for our lives, through the lens of Hannah's prayerful persistence in 1 Samuel 1. A fellow participant brought up Psalm 37:5 and its call for surrendering to His plan, unknown though it may be.

2. The (randomly selected?) Verse of the Day on the Bible app I use.



3. Today's assigned Psalm (vv. 1-11, anyway) per the reading plan I'm working through in 2019. 

Some versions of Psalm 37:5 end, "...he will do it."

It.

What is it? While I'm enjoying the book study and enjoying the weekly conversations with my infinitely wise colleagues and friends even more, I'm stuck on a previous chapter that asked us to list our dreams. That shouldn't be hard, right? Oh, but it is. I meeeeaaaan, Macchu Pichu is at the top of my bucket list. I take the Jeopardy! online test every time it's offered for my shot to be a contestant. I'd spend more time in my living room if I had a coffee table.

But are those dreams, or merely goals or ambitions? We Conquistadoras defined dreams as having more to do with interpersonal relationships - with how who I become and what I go on to do will impact others in this life and the next. Perhaps it's telling, and not in the best way, that the first and only thing that comes to mind is my career aspirations, but I've said a gazillion times over that this is my "dream job. In a way, I feel like if I'm already living the dream, where do I go from here?

I'd love for the answer to appear on a scrolling neon marquee, or maybe a fluttering banner trailing behind one of those propeller planes that used to fly over Daytona Beach when I was a kid. Instead, I think it came to me through a colleague, an in-app feature I rarely glance at, and David's words as I sipped my smoothie this morning. Enough so to merit further reflection, anyway!

The Lord. That's where I go. In His Word, in Divine Service, in the company of fellow believers, in fervent prayer like Hannah. I "commend myself, my body and soul, and all things" (Luther's Morning Prayer) into His hands and trust that He will act. He will do it. Whatever "it" is! I wouldn't be upset if "it" included Jeopardy...

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Mark Madsen said…
Four:
It's my confirmation verse. The KJV version is, "Commit thy way unto the Lord. Trust also in Him, and he shall bring it to pass."

Thank you for the reminder!