Jesus Still Rose

My pre-curfew walk yesterday featured two (welcome!) interruptions from fellow missionaries (I still made it home at 4:52 pm...eight minutes to spare!) - first bearing fresh flowers as a thank-you for technical assistance with MailChimp and then a hand-drawn missionary kid masterpiece with these words at the top: "He is alive." 

And He is. Churches may have been closed, but the tomb is open. Egg hunts, Easter breakfasts, and family gatherings may have been cancelled, but Easter was not. Rather, we will celebrate it corporately as a Church for the next 50 days until Pentecost and then in our hearts daily as we live in the hope of the promised final resurrection when 

"He will wipe away every tear from [our] eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." (Revelation 21:4)

In a world that looks much different than it did a few weeks ago, we can be certain that sin, death, the devil, and viruses have been swallowed up by victory. That's cause for rejoicing, even while sheltering in place! Here's what my solo soiree looked like: 

I hard-boiled some eggs (for the first time EVER) on Friday and dyed them on Saturday. I haven't dyed eggs in years, but it brought back memories of my brother and I doing it every Saturday before Easter with my grandparents when I was a kid. 


My Easter morning began with a run, blueberry pancakes, and three church services:

1. St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Des Peres, MO

2. Iglesia Luterana Cordero de Dios, Licey al Medio, DR

3. A house church service streamed from Manchester, MO

Then later: FaceTiming with family, the aforementioned walk (I jumped on that bandwagon and hung the aforementioned picture in my bedroom window!), and Netflix Party #4 (It Takes Two). 


The title of Easter sermon #1 was "This Changes Everything." That couldn't have been more true this year, but one thing didn't change and never will: Jesus still rose. So say it with me: Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia! 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments