Destination: Wedding

I went to my first destination wedding this weekend! I guess you can still call it that if I live in the destination? 

I've known Kelsey & Franco for about 2 1/2 years - ever since they started attending my local church. They're part of my small but treasured group of expat friends outside the LCMS missionary community. Kelsey is from the US and was on staff at Santiago Christian School (SCS); her husband Franco is Dominican but studied engineering in Michigan for several years. 

Wedding fever started last month with a lovely bridal shower hosted by one of Kelsey's SCS colleagues. We played the newlywed game, wedding Jeopardy!, and hot potato with a bouquet of plastic flowers while trying not to melt in the afternoon heat. 

The Cute Sundress Picture

The Church Picture (I think we're laughing because right before this Val (far left) held up "her finger and her thumb in the shape of an "L" on her forehead"...for Lutheran...)

My gift to the couple was a basket of household products and a short letter that worked in each of the brand names (i.e. In a few short weeks you and Franco will PLEDGE your love to one another. Marriage is a journey; some days it will be FANTASTIK...)

The wedding itself was in beautiful, mountainous Jarabacoa, where Kelsey spent a few months student teaching several years ago and the couple loved to hike. It's where Franco proposed! I made the 1 1/2 hour journey with the officiant's - my pastor's - family, who lives 3 doors down from me ;) The "4:00" ceremony got underway just before 5:00 - right on time, according to Foreign to Familiar. The ceremony was bilingual, since Kelsey's family doesn't understand Spanish. I was surprised when Kelsey said her vows in Spanish and Franco his in English, but upon further reflection found it incredibly romantic that they each got to hear the other's promises in their own heart language. Kelsey was radiant in her dress, and Franco didn't stop smiling from when I saw him before the ceremony until I hugged Sr. and Sra. Hernández goodbye around 8:45. 


The first dance and father/daughter dances were what I would have expected, but Franco and his mom danced to a merengue song about it raining coffee

With Val, another dear (word-loving!) friend from SCS. 

With Val's daughter, my forever Chopped partner Abigail. 



Franco works in the capital, so the couple will reside there after their honeymoon. I have to keep reminding myself that they're NOT leaving leaving; I just have one more reason to spend weekends in Santo Domingo now!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments