The Best News I’ve Heard All Day

I mentioned a few posts ago that I had news. Things have finally developed enough to share; in fact, it's gone from awful, distressing, sad news to the best news I heard all [yester]day: 

I DON'T HAVE TO MOVE!!!

The backstory is this: my dueña (landlord) informed the mission's business office that I needed to move...by July 1...and I was crushed. My home here is a safe, comforting space to me that I continue to nest into. I wouldn't be the first missionary this had happened to, and I actually had an oddly similar experience in 2009 while serving as a GEO missionary in El Paso, TX, but my mind was immediately flooded with all of the reasons why I love my house and living anywhere else would be the worst fate imaginable. 

I went from anger, to denial, to finally starting to notice things I would not miss: the diseased palm tree in the front yard, the fluctuating water pressure, the wonky kitchen drawer. Talking through an action plan helped, too, but hinged on seeing if there was any flexibility in the July 1 deadline - could I stay here until August 2 when I'll leave for our regional conference and then home service?

Yesterday Rev. Ted & Becca Krey, who know my dueña and have been conversing with her, sought clarification, and I'm sooooooo glad they did. It turns out she and her family just need to stay here for ~4 months while extensive remodeling renders their home unlivable!

I happened to be at Ted & Becca's house when the call came through, decorating construction paper stars with the kids. The stars are the next set of ornaments for my "all-occasion tree"; I cut them out while watching "Using Art in Outreach," the latest iteration of OIM's new monthly webinar series (sign up for "Using Faith Basics in Outreach" on June 21 here). 


I'm beyond relieved that I won't need to find and fix up a new place - no easy task in this country. It's an enormous weight off my shoulders and an answered prayer if I've ever seen one. I still have SO many questions about what this new arrangement will look like, but the answers will come in time, and I have a huge support community here to lean into. I covet your continued prayers as we negotiate uncharted territory!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments