Running with Endurance

Given that the Facebook post with Saturday's race results was one of the most liked and commented on in recent history, I thought I'd share a bit more of the back story and details. 

My first half marathon, in 2013, was a bucket list thing. I knew I could do it if I trained. Alas, I stuck to a plan, and in October 2013, I finished the GO! St. Louis Halloween Half Marathon in 2:01:37

If you know me at all, you know that having come this close to besting 2:00:00, a second half was just a matter of time. In 2016, I obliterated that goal, finishing the same race in 1:51:11

I no longer felt a need to prove anything to myself, and I wasn't sure how much faster I could run 13.1 miles. Since moving here, though, I'd been thinking it'd be fun to do a race, any race, abroad. I'd see billboards or social media ads from time to time, but they were always a) when I was out of town; or b) too soon for me to train sufficiently. Then, midway through home service, my missionary friend and fellow runner Erica clued me in to the Maratón Monumental within days of when I'd need to start training, and I knew I'd be here on race day. I bit the bullet. Goal time: 1:50:00 (or really anything better than my 2016 time). 

Sticking to my regimen as best I could amidst a full slate of presentations, I trained in five states: MO, IL (in literally freezing temps), NE, AR, and VA. I was home for the most intense part, eventually working my way up to 9.5 laps around the botanical garden.  

The day before race day, I had to go to the convention center downtown to show my vaccine card and pick up my race packet (T-shirt, bib, safety pins, and free samples from the race sponsors). 


I mostly ignored the sponsors' displays, and the pickup process was efficient, so I was in and out quickly minus a selfie stop by the map showing all 22 countries (!!!) represented by the runners. 


Fellow missionary Danelle graciously drove me downtown at 5:30 am on race day, and sparklers marked the official start at 6:05 am (the marathon started at 4:30 am!). There were no pacers and only one distance marker at 15k, so I had no idea how far we'd gone or if I was on track to meet my goal. I considered asking one of the runners around me with a watch or checking the Fitbit clipped to my waistband but opted to just run as hard as I could knowing I'd finish when I finished. That moment came at...drumroll...1:49:57!



Volunteers handed out medals, paper grocery bags of snacks, and disposable facemasks. Breezing past the post-race entertainment and photo ops, I found Danelle easily even sans a phone. I chugged water and coconut-flavored Pedialyte (not bad) the entire way home, made myself a protein-packed breakfast, showered as soon as the water came on, and made it to church in time to usher in Advent!


So what's next? Again I say, I'm not sure how much faster I could possibly go, nor am I about accumulating personal records. I am also NOT that person who does a half and then sets her sights on a full marathon. No way, José. I could be persuaded to do another half or even a shorter race if I were to do it with another LAC missionary. What I'd really like to do is a long-distance relay like the Ragnar series, but I'm not sure home service will ever accommodate that. So for now, mornings at the garden will remain a fixture. Running is a full body workout I also happen to enjoy, and the discipline of it is an apt analogy for the life of faith. Scripture alludes to this often, as in Hebrews 12:1-3; thanks be to God for the "cloud of witnesses" that helps me to "run with endurance" - that's you! 

Until next time, blessings!

P.S. I wonder if they sell "21k" car window decals here?

Comments