Sleep in Heavenly Peace

I've been around enough babies to wonder if Mary and her "holy infant" really had a "silent night," but regardless of the decibel level in the stable, I can guarantee she and Joseph slept "in heavenly peace." How could they not, as they cradled the very Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6)? Though we have yet to experience His nearer presence, we, too, rest secure: Jesus, whose very birth was heralded by tidings of peace (Luke 2:14), is our peace (Ephesians 2:14). 

Despite the drama. unknowns, and tumultuousness of 2021, I slept in heavenly peace in 31 different beds this calendar year! No, I don't normally photograph my sleeping quarters, but this post represents take II of an exercise I set out to complete in 2020. And did complete, which made me question whether I even ought repeat it in 2021. I'm glad I did. What follows is a much more accurate picture of #missionarylife. Without further ado, as promised in my December newsletter, allow me to pillow talk you through my year. 

Casa Mackenzie | Santiago de los Caballeros, DR
I love my jet-setting life, but there's nothing like my own bed, even if only for a couple weeks - or less - between trips. 

Krey beach house | Costambar, DR
The Kreys invited a number of us single missionaries to join them for a post-Christmas escape from the city...count me in!

Airbnb | Samana, DR
Courtney and I went whale-watching at the end of January. (Confession: I forgot to take a picture of the bed, so I grabbed this one from the listing!). 

Airbnb | Playa Bonita, DR
Aw shucks, one possible route back to Santiago takes you right by some of the country's best beaches. Guess we'd better spend an extra night and enjoy one of them.

My brother and sister-in-law's basement | High Ridge, MO
I flew to St. Louis on a Friday at the end of February to surprise my mom for her birthday. Obviously, I couldn't stay with my parents the night before the party.

My parents' basement | Kirkwood, MO
Once the cat was out of the bag, I moved across town. I'd later sleep here on and off for eight weeks or so during home service.

Airbnb | Montecristi, DR
Five friends and I "swung through" one of the places on my DR bucket list one weekend in May.

Apartamento Pine | Santiago de los Caballeros, DR
After weeks of landlord drama, I moved out of the house I'd been renting on July 1. My temporary landing spot was (and is) an apartment just a few blocks away, shared with former missionary Cindy Pine until her planned repatriation a week later.

Apartamento Mackenzie | Santiago de los Caballeros, DR
I claimed the master bedroom once I had the place to myself.

Apartamento Hernández | Santo Domingo, DR
Less than a month after my friends Kelsey and Franco got married on 6/19 and subsequently moved to the capital, I had the distinct honor of being the new Sr. & Sra. Hernández's first houseguest! I'm a frequent flyer, having stayed here on at least two other occasions, most recently last weekend. 

Memories Splash | Punta Cana, DR
After two frustrating years, it was unbelievably refreshing to see most of the LAC missionaries come together as un solo cuerpo at our 2021 regional conference the first full week of August.

Casa Tessone | Sedalia, MO
And I'm off (on home service, that is)! I went to high school with Rev. Andrew's wife Elisabeth and was overjoyed to spend the first night of my first road trip in their home. 

Casa Boyse | Columbia, MO
"Grandma T" actually belongs to my best friend but insisted on hosting me for the umpteenth time. Always lovely catching up with her, too!

Casa Lampe | Warsaw, MO
An action packed itinerary meant I needed two nights with retired pastor Ken and his wife Vi at their custom-built rural abode. 

Casa Hertwig | Xenia, OH
On road trip #2, my friend and former coworker Sarah graciously let me use her home as a hub despite her deployed husband, two boys under 3, knee surgery while I was there, and sister-in-law coming to help post-op!

Casa Bourgeois | Napoleon, OH
Once of my "spokes" took me so far that it simply made more sense to stay the night. 

Casa Little | Fairlawn, OH
Outreach Team chair Connie and her husband took great care of me - and got me hooked on US Open tennis! - while in the greater Akron area.

Casa Gauthier | Seward, NE
I set out on road trip #3 on a Tuesday morning and rolled up to the home of the Gauthiers, sweet friends and former missionaries to Panama, in my Mustang convertible seven hours later.

La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Omaha West | Omaha, NE
My only hotel stay of Home Service 2021 was unplanned and one of the worst of my life. I decompressed at a coffee shop for a few hours before day 2 of the Jamaica FORO

Casa Kafton | Mapleton, IA
You know Wayne & Zola have hosted their fair share of missionaries when they have a guest book and a bulletin board full of prayer cards. I woke refreshed and ready for a day at Mission Central.

Casa Pedersen | Jefferson, IA
Rita and family made me feel like...family. So did the flock at their church, come to think of it!

Casa Brown | Kansas City, MO
Through NO fault of theirs - quite the opposite, actually - Andy & Carla's gorgeous place was quite possibly my shortest home stay of Home Service 2021.

Casa Merritt | Springfield, MO
I hadn't spent any time in my college stomping grounds since graduation...until my final home service road trip. I barely recognized the place, but Ron "Moses" hasn't changed a bit. 

Casa Jenkins | Farmington, AR
I took a midweek jaunt to spend a few nights with my college roomie. It was just like old times, and I don't just mean the lamp she had in her dorm room. 

Casa Swenson | Williamsburg, VA
I tried and failed to visit my best friend during my pre-deployment support-raising, so to maintain my track record of visiting her everywhere she's lived - and see her new house and meet her youngest child - I had to go back

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Miami Downtown/Medical Center | Miami, FL
I got caught in the maelstrom of thousands of cancelled flights on the way to Chicago in October and spent a night here courtesy of American Airlines...sans luggage.

Casa Madsen | Morton Grove, IL
I'd stay here again just for the shower with a control panel that lets you preheat it to your desired temperature, but Mark & Ellen are pretty great, too ;) Beautiful Feet was beautiful.

Old Latin School | Wittenberg, Germany
The 2nd "annual" Volunteer Coordinators Conference was up in the air due to omicron until mere days before I flew across the pond!

Airbnb | Berlin, Germany
Stop #1 on a post-conference girls' trip with three of my favorites.

MEININGER Hotel Frankfurt Flughafen | Frankfurt, Germany
'Twas the night before they left me all to my lonesone...

MEININGER Hotel Frankfurt Flughafen | Frankfurt, Germany
I had a bonus day in Frankfurt to myself before I switched to a smaller room for my last, very short (can you say 7 am flight?) night in Germany.

I can say with certainty that I do not intend on repeating this in 2022. In two years - one not at all normal and one resembling normal - I feel like you've gotten a "full" glimpse at my life, from covers to covers ;) Bed puns aside, it's been fun, but I'm contemplating something else for the new year ahead. 

Until next time (year!), blessings!

Comments