Madam Treasurer

Instead of Bible study before church this morning, we had an asamblea. Assemblies are held twice yearly to update the congregation on regular and featured activities, finances, and new initiatives. Today's also included the election of two new council members, one of whom you might recognize. 

Congregational president Owen (front row, L) first approached me about serving as treasurer of Iglesia Luterana Cordero de Dios before Christmas. I'm better with letters than numbers so I hemmed a bit, but he assured me that if I could use Excel I was up to the job. 'Spreadsheet' is my middle name, so OK, but I also expressed concern about the amount of Sundays I miss when traveling for my job (I'm realizing as I write this that I sound like Moses in Exodus 3...), but Owen reassured me we'd find someone to cover.  

Between Christmas, the aforementioned work travels, and COVID, finding a Sunday when both pastors, Owen, and I were all present in order to hold an election and installation was trickier than you might think! Sometime in there, I got to thinking that perhaps LAC's Regional Business Manager John Tape (front row, R) might be a better candidate (I think we're in Exodus 4 by now). He handles money for a living and was looking for an opportunity to plug into a local church that would force him to use his Spanish. In the end, it was agreed that we'd serve as co-treasurers. I'm the first stringer, but John will be there if I need help understanding the nuts and bolts of the accounting and can fill in on Sundays when duty calls me elsewhere. 


Owen emceed the election; the congregation was unanimously in favor of the plan outlined above. 

Before communion in this morning's Divine Service, Rev. Yban Navarro turned to Ritual Cristiano and installed both new and returning officers. The rite featured a text drawn from the early Church:

"And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, 'It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.'" (Acts 6:2-4)

I'm excited to serve in this way, so my pastors can "devote [themselves] to prayer and to the ministry of the word." I started effective immediately and already have a bank run to make. I also already have ideas of how to improve tracking and reporting, but I'm going to be patient and make sure I fully grasp the current system before I reimagine it. My first council meeting is Thursday!

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments