The Concordias Do LAC

Weeks with two short-term teams happening simultaneously are my favorite. Last week was extra special, then, with TWO Concordia Universities learning about and jumping into international mission in TWO different countries: whilst my friend and colleague Caitlin Ramírez hosted CUNE in Peru, I hosted CUC in the DR. My group consisted of team leader Kristin, director of the undergraduate deaconess program, and five deaconess students (OK, three students and two very recent grads who walked across the stage on Saturday and hopped on the plane on Monday). I planned a week of mission education with a heavy bent toward diaconal formation and ministry from multiple perspectives for them. I did NOT plan the termite infestation...

We did ALL the things their first full day, beginning with observing the Palmar school's opening flagpole ritual.

It never takes long for teams to become fast friends with the group home chicos, especially when UNO and BINGO are involved. 

Deaconess Cheryl Naumann literally wrote the book on deaconesses, so casually running into her was basically a celebrity encounter. The ladies would spend an evening in her home later in the week; here, she tells the story of liturgical artist Kelly Schumacher's "Jesus and the Children."

After a Venezuelan arepa lunch, we killed a few hours in the A/C at Centro León's martes de entrada gratis. I don't think you were supposed to add to the graffiti of this piece in the special exhibit gallery...

Next on the itinerary was the Cienfuegos preaching station. Fourth year seminarian Carlos brilliantly led us in a game that he then tied into a message about the body of Christ...all in the span of about 5 min. 


We watched volleyball practice for a short while after, but I set a timer so we wouldn't be horribly late for the DR all-team potluck (oh yeah, I put them to work making a salad for that, too!). Whew!


Day 1's saving grace was a somewhat lazy morning. Day 2, not so much; we were on the road to the Km 28 rehab hospital by 7:30 am. After touring the facility with Dra. Marisol, the order of the day was an impromptu concert, BINGO, manicures, and coloring. 



Art is healing in so many ways for people with mental illness - how much more so when it also helps them meditate on the Psalms?!

I love love love watching Rev. Idjon Fritz do his thing at the play. It's such a beautiful picture of taking the Gospel to the streets...er, basepaths...and meeting people where they are. 

I ate with the team and then left them to the woman, the myth, the legend: Cheryl Naumann (2nd from left). 

We took advantage of the early morning relative cool to knock out Thursday's seminary dorm landscaping project. 

Pulling weeds with Katie (pictured) and a couple others was my jam; I knew better than to go anywhere near the planting.

Thankfully, there were a few gardeners in the group. Note: the entire bed is VERY intentionally comprised of low maintenance species!

We got cleaned up in time to hop on the biweekly seminary diaconal formation Zoom with four LAC missionary deaconesses responsible for helping train women in nine countries. Caitlin and two CUNE pre-deaconess students joined all the way from Peru, which made my week. 

Pastor Yban led us in prayer before splitting into 2 groups for visits in Licey that afternoon. 

Masiel bonded with Sarah (2nd from right) and Rebekah (right) over TikTok.

Our post-visit dinner spot was Crunchy Pizza, a) because it's yummy; and b) because Licey deaconess Ely (4th from left) works there. We only pinned her down long enough for a photo, but the group got to know the other Licey deaconess, Pastor Yban's wife Martha (2nd from left), over a selection of pies - yes, including one with the ubiquitous corn. 

Friday's agenda included lunch and unstructured time at the group home...


...bookended by Zooms with the Santo Domingo deaconesses and (pictured) Christel Neuendorf in PR.

Not coincidentally, the CUC trip aligned with a DR deaconess intensive on Law & Gospel. 

I was in charge of ordering dinner, which escalated into a much more frustrating, stressful pursuit than planned when the delivery app wouldn't accept my credit card. I wound up having to place the order in person and wait there ~45 min. for it to be ready, but when I arrived back hangry, flustered, and apologetic, the whole group was singing hymns. 

We ended the night with a Litany for Deaconesses...and non-deaconesses ;)

The team is supposed to be in the next picture, and they would have been, had I not woken up to the following texts from late Friday night:

[10:39 PM, 5/12/2023] Kristin Wassilak: are you still awake?
[10:41 PM, 5/12/2023] Kristin Wassilak: we have been invaded by termites

I was not, in fact, awake but soon came to learn that they'd been up until almost 1 am shaking teeny bugs out of their clothes and toiletries, then slept on couch cushions and towels in the conference room! It was traumatic to say the least, and it meant the Pueblo Nuevo escuelita kids missed out on their skit involving paper plate carriage wheels and a plastic bowl crown with Mardi Gras bead jewels, but they were and still are laughing about it.  


We regrouped for a pica pollo lunch hosted by Deac. Clarion Fritsche followed by a grocery store snack run. Everyone needed a nap after a not-so-restful night so they could fully soak in Deac. Danelle Putnam-Schumann's mercy presentation and enjoy her & Rev. Carlos's hospitality. 



L to R: Danelle, Carlos, and I. 

These girls earned this beach day! I braved taking them to one I'd never been to based on a recommendation from trusted friends, and I'm choosing to reserve judgment on it for now. It was loud and crowded and lunch took forever. The wind sandblasted us the entire time, and rain cut our relaxation short. On the other hand, lunch was worth the wait, there was next to no seaweed, you could walk for miles, and I can't control the weather. I'm eager to give it another go on a different day. 

It was [US] Mother's Day AND my dad's birthday, so I wrote my well wishes in the sand and sent "wish you were here" photos.


I loved spending the week with this group of sisters. I can see how God has equipped each of them uniquely to serve Him in the vocation of deaconess and am excited to see how international missions may fit into some of their futures. I don't think I've ever had a bigger stack of thank-you notes to hand deliver! The week was also eye-opening for me as I hunker down to host FOUR DR teams in the even hotter months of June and July, and a welcome distraction from stewing over the fact that I did not yet have a contract on my new/old house. I STILL don't, which is pushing me to my limits, but that's a can of worms best opened in a separate post. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments