You’re Here Early!

The first thing I did when I got back from Jamaica was mail my old passport back to the US embassy in Santo Domingo. That same outing also took me to PriceSmart to buy bulk snacks for the upcoming DR FORO partnership meeting and to Hotel Los Jardines to drop off welcome bags for guests. Of ten, SEVEN arrived as much as two days early. 

Rev. Ross (3rd from right) & Kris Shaver (Zion Lutheran Church, Nampa, ID) had the blessing of joining DR missionaries for September's monthly all-team gathering. We met - for the first time - in the new regional office (it's no longer across the street from my house...sigh) and then migrated to the Naumanns' house. Rev. Dr. Jonathan & Deaconess Cheryl had graciously offered to host us for Bible study, worship, and a potluck. I skedaddled out right after worship to go pick up Rev. Nathan Meador (South Wisconsin District). Cheryl saved me a plate of dinner, but the brownies I made were gone...gonna have to make those again.  



The next morning, I picked up the Shavers and took them to chapel in Licey. The kids evidently weren't singing the national anthem by the flagpole with enough gusto; the director made them sing it AGAIN before all 145 of them crammed into the sanctuary. We stood!



Before I got them situated in the aforementioned new office to await pickup by their lunch hosts, we walked to a colmado for caffeine and snacks. Then it was off to Palmar for me to - surprise! - interpret for a portion of Pastor Meador's stewardship workshop for seminary orientation, based on the book he co-authored on the same topic. I skedaddled out of there to pick up Rev. Randall Golter, Eric Schocker, and Jessi Spath (Trinity Lutheran Church, Davenport, IA). Pastor Golter and Eric had just been in the DR in July as part of a team; their interest in ongoing involvement meant the FORO was a logical next step. I'm bummed I forgot to take pictures of dinner at my place for the three Trinity reps plus Pastor Meador!

Trinity was stuck with me the next morning, too. We observed the opening flagpole ceremony at the DRLM's lone Lutheran school, peeked into each of the classrooms, attended seminary chapel and a LAC regional team meeting, and shared lunch & fellowship with missionaries and seminarians. I've rarely seen so many people around the the Mercy Center table!



Sometime in the course of all of that happening, three more attendees arrived right on schedule. Whether after an intense intro to LCMS mission work in the DR or a long day of international travel, everyone was glad for a chance to sleep in until the relatively late departure time for Friday's cultural activity: 9:30 am!

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments