I'm done!!!

Just got back from taking my Hebrew final (which was ridiculously easy...and open-book) which means I'm done for good!!! Well, Monday I have to go listen to 2 presentations in The Spiritual Life and then hand in 2 projects for Graphic Design II--like literally walk in, hand the professor my stuff, walk out--but those don't really count so in my book I am done with my undergrad.

So I'm not just going to sit around here all next week while everyone else takes finals, here's the plan:

this weekend--hang out in Springfield
Monday--do the stuff I talked about in the first paragraph, pack, clean
Tuesday afternoon--head to Columbia to see Marie/Kelley
Tues-Fri--CoMo
Fri, 1 pm--Marie graduation, leave for Springfield immediately following that
Fri evening--get back from CoMo, my family gets here for my graduation
Sat morning--pick up cap/gown, head to Weiser Gym
Sat, 10 am--GRADUATION :) (any and all of you are welcome to come if you are going to be in Springfield/feel like driving to Springfield)

Side note about graduation: there was an article in Drury's paper this week (front page, might I add), that said there are going to be 241 people in my graduating class--47 day school students, 174 CGCS students, 20 Master's degrees. Also the speaker is Drury's poet laureate...who knew we had a poet laureate?

I have very mixed emotions about all this. I am thrilled to be done--no more HW, tests, papers, etc...until I wind up going back for a Master's eventually... But for now...I am done doing something I have been doing since I was 5 years old. And I am totally ready to join the real world and move on to the next phase of my life. At the same time though, it's going to be really hard saying good-bye to a lot of things about college. My roommates will probably be the hardest, but that won't be until after graduation like over a week from now so I haven't even really thought about that one and don't really want to. My last Prayer and Praise night at the LSC was this week though and it was awful. I mean it was the Christmas party so it was fun and festive and all that but I lost it at the end. I lasted longer than I thought I would but the group prayer at the end when everyone laid their hands on me was what did it. After that there was just lots of hugging and crying and I put off leaving a lot longer than I normally would. I'll still see most of those people between now and leaving Springfield for good, but Tuesdays won't be the same for awhile. There's also less emotional stuff to say good-bye to, like Cielito Lindo (favorite Mexican restaurant down here) and Potter's House (Christian coffeehouse Erica and I go to a minimum of once a week).

I have lots to look forward to though, and as Chris informed me earlier, I get to YLM in 34 days. That is crazy soon but I can't wait. December has been flying by and I almost feel like I haven't really gotten to do much to enjoy it except listen nonstop to Kenny G ;) It's December 12...when did that happen?...and Christmas Day is in less than 2 weeks. I did get to go to the Advent Service this past Wed night though, which was nice. They are some of my favorite services in the church year. I really liked the sermon too...it was about how Jesus came, comes, and will come again. Pastor Tessaro related the OT story of the Passover and Moses' delivery of God's people from slavery in Egypt to Jesus' death on the cross delivering us from our sins--stories which I have heard analogized before--but the cool part was that he then talked about how Jesus still comes to us today via the sacraments, and he challenged us to picture the walls of the Red Sea on either side of us the next time we walked back from communion. I'm going to try it.

I read a really good and kind of appropriate book this week too. It was called Under the Overpass and it's about these 2 Christian college guys who feel called to live on the streets for 6 mos. to truly understand what it means to utterly depend on God for your daily bread and be content in all circumstances. I borrowed it from a friend on Mon. night and gave it back to her Wed. at church...it helped that I read for like 3 hours on Wednesday, not kidding...but it's an incredible story and I would recommend it. Another good one I read recently is called The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. It's about a guy who tries to follow the Bible as literally as possible--we're talking not wearing clothes made of mixed fibers, not eating fruit from trees less than 5 years old, stoning adulturers, etc.--and I loved it too. I am normally a pretty slow reader but I read both of these super-fast.

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Unknown said…
I got a little sad reading this post! But so excited for your future. It is hard to leave something behind you have spent 4 years growing with and all of a sudden you are "on your own." Which of course you know you're not, its just a new lifestyle and new coffee houses and new friends to find! Here's to the new life experiences!!! Blessings on yours!