Outside Day

We only get one or maybe 1 1/2-2 this week since it's gonna get COLD (for El Paso: high of 28 and low of 12 on Wednesday, snow flurries likely). So we rearranged the project schedule for the Bella Vista Lutheran servant event (1 couple, Ron and Kay), and I accompanied Genaro and Ron to Juarez to repair a roof today! We finished quicker than we were expecting to because we didn't have to tear off all of the old stuff--some we could lay new right on top of--and we had bonus help from one of the homeowners. That turned out to be a good thing since it clouded over and got windy.

This was the 2nd straight servant event (Mayer Lutheran HS was the 1st) that YLM was working very near a Casas Por Cristo group. My initial reaction is always that they are intruding on our territory, so I always have to remind myself that we are partnering with some of the same people for the glory of the same God. Two of the guys today came over to say hi at about noon. We talked for a few minutes; they told me they were waiting on their cement truck (cheaters...we use volcanoes!) that was supposed to have arrived at 11, so I explained Mexican time to them! It finally showed up around 1 as we were eating lunch.

Judith was pretending her stuffed dalmatian was a pinata...song and everything!

And we determined that her brother Jorge is way better at hoola-hooping than I am. In my defense it was a broken hoola-hoop.

Lunch option #1.

Lunch option #2! I actually had a turkey wrap and carrot sticks, but felt the need to add to ram and turkey to my collection of pictures of animals I've seen people have in Juarez!

Ron and Big G.

Finishing off the edging on the front.

The homeowners and Ron.

Pretty new roof, bring on the snow!

And I couldn't forget the Snowbirds (and Kay) working outside back at the ranch today!


Support-raising update: I need less than $5000! Just barely though...$4,953.91 still to go.

LBT update: They received my application and will be reviewing it this week, although they have requested that I write an addendum: my feelings on working in Africa where I wouldn't be able to use my Spanish and the importance of using my Spanish skills/ideally how they would be used within LBT. Manana.

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

tchrchill said…
Sounds like the FLEXIBLE, FLEXIBLE, FLEXIBLE part of the YLM covenant has been needed this week! Hmm---- Stay warm, please, and know that we miss you guys and look forward to seeing you soon.