Friends of the Lord

You know the song that gets stuck in your head endlessly:

//Amigos de Cristo; we're friends of the Lord;
Amigos de Cristo; we're friends of the Lord.
For we've been forgiven, and we've been restored,
Amigos de Cristo; we're friends of the Lord.//

You're welcome ;)

That's what comes to mind, though, when I consider Amigos de Jesús, the monthly children's programming at Licey, the church I've all but decided I'm going to make my DR church home. Amigos de Jesús began as an outreach to neighborhood kids with special needs but has since morphed into something that serves a wider circle of little ones.

There is Sunday school every week, but the third Sunday of every month is extra-special. Yesterday was my first. Breaking from the regularly scheduled, Catechism-based curriculum, the lesson was straight from the pages of Luke: Jesus Raises a Widow's Son. Vicar Yban Navarro and his wife Marta led the children in a song, Bible story reenactment, coloring sheet, craft, and snack. After a brief interlude on the playground to get the wiggles out, nearly all of the kids, even those whose parents aren't active members, stayed for worship and a potluck lunch. I baked for the first time since I've been here - gooey butter cookies!









Until next time, blessings!

Comments