My Humble Abode

Good morning from my humble abode! After weeks of pouring into the house I now get to call my home, I slept here for the first time last night, only to be rudely awakened at ~ 1:45 am by an earthquake! I've never felt one before, but somehow I knew exactly what it was.

Acquiring furniture turned into quite the saga, but I was finally able to pick up the majority of my IKEA order on Wednesday. They only had one of the 2nd set of dining room chairs I picked out, but I'll wait on plan C until the four credit returns I have coming have been processed. Saga, I told you!

Friday night, I hosted a furniture assembly party. The place was filled with missionaries and seminaristas who gave up their evening to play with "Legos for adults." Two hours or so later the job was done; all I did - besides take pictures - was dry and put away dishes that someone else washed!



Quality control. 

How many Lutherans does it take to put slats in an IKEA bed?


This hardworking crew hung out afterward for some well-earned pizza and beer. 

I'll give you the full tour once I've added some more finishing touches - and dining room chairs - but here's a sneak peek at my bedroom. I intended for it to be my sanctuary and am extremely pleased with how it all came together. 

Earlier this month, I picked the 21st as my moving day goal. I may have (barely!) missed it, but I'm pretty pleased nonetheless. If nothing else, I'm thrilled to have made the transition before the DR FORO, the project that's been taking up most of the time I haven't been spending on the house. Five collaborators will be joining us; I'm overseeing logistics related to transportation, lodging, and meals as my first "team!" It all kicks off on Thursday with at least one grocery run and then a drive to the capital for our cultural outing and visit to Kilómetro 28 on Friday. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments

Linda said…
We have an IKEA bed, too. The one you slept in while you were in Alabama this summer. ☺ FYI the slats are supposed to bow up, like a rainbow. Maybe it is just the camera angle, but in the pic it looks like they are bowing down. Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case!
KatherineG said…
An EARTHQUAKE!!! Just what you needed to keep you on your toes. Glad you are safely in your new home.