Test Run

You ask what daily life is like? This weekend, hectic: it's DR fall FORO time! 

FOROs are biannual, round-table strategic planning gatherings open to anyone who supports mission work in a particular country. While not a traditional "team," I was put in charge of logistics (meals, lodging, transportation) as a sort of test run before the first bona fide short-term team serves here at the end of January. Thankfully, I received all the support I needed from people who have been there, done that. 

Danelle and I went shopping early this morning and got everything on the list - an answer to prayer in and of itself! I thought we weren't going to be able to leave until almost lunchtime and would need to go to multiple stores. 

In addition to missionaries and local staff, 40 US collaborators were invited; four are coming. Disappointing as that is, if I'm being 100% honest, tracking flight information and making hotel reservations - in two cities - for a group that size would have been a staggering task. Yes, this particular FORO is especially complex since we're seeking to highlight mercy work and church planting, both of which are concentrated in the Santo Domingo area. Two of the collaborators fly into Santo Domingo tonight, and I'm headed down later this afternoon to help with some prep work. Tomorrow's cultural visit is to the Catedral Primada there, and then we'll head to Kilómetro 28 before returning to Santiago. Saturday the entire group of collaborators + DR-based folks will meet all day. Sunday we'll be back in the capital for worship at Las Americas and to tour the site of a new church plant. A smaller group of collaborators and missionary team leads will regroup on Monday for a 2nd day of meetings. All of the collaborators fly out of Santiago on either Monday or Tuesday. 

I'm out of breath, are you?!?

It's already been a whirlwind of making sure everyone gets where they need to be when they need to be there and is fed three times a day, but I've been in my element making lists and spreadsheets galore. It wouldn't surprise me if I had to scramble to find someone a ride somewhere or make a last-minute run to the store for something I forgot. I need to remember that this does not mean I have failed; it's normal. Prior experience has taught me - and my pre-deployment psychological assessments confirmed - that I'm unlikely to let the ball drop in such situations. 

Madness aside, I'm looking forward to networking with some truly dedicated supporters of the DRLM. These days together are a golden opportunity to not only tell about, but show our strengths and opportunities, our joint vision for the future, and our very real needs. 

Until next time, blessings!

Comments