For You 2022

I've been putting off this post because how do you even begin to explain something you're still figuring out the intricacies of? Prior to the March DRLM FORO, I was admittedly in that stereotypical camp of people who thought Higher Things (HT) was a cultish organization that put on anti-Youth Gathering conferences. And maybe, in the beginning, it was. But no more. 

HT is an LCMS RSO whose mission, as I've come to understand it, is to feed high school kids real (not diluted or dumbed down) theology; point them back to their pastors when they're dealing with the hard stuff of life, have doubts, or just need to hear that Jesus loves them; and unite them in worshipping their Savior such as they might on an average Sunday in Anywhere, USA. 

Among a slew of other ways to reach teenagers, HT does put on conferences, though: usually 2-3/year, held on college campuses, for ~1,000 participants. Last week, I was privileged to attend one at Montana State University in Bozeman, MT. One of the HT execs who attended the aforementioned FORO invited me up so I could "have lunch with the summer vicars" (which I did) and, OK, meet the entire HT staff, gain an insider perspective on how HT is run, exhibit, lead a breakaway, and co-host a fireside chat. 

Like me, an unusually high number of groups arrived on Monday, the night before the official start of the conference, so Rev. Harrison Goodman, HT's Content Executive, led an impromptu - and abnormally large - fireside chat, followed by the order of Compline...at 9 pm! To kill time until then, I helped some hardworking CCVs (College Conference Volunteers) put together welcome bags, enjoyed a leisurely first meal in the incredible MSU cafeteria, and listened to HT's cantor tickle the "ivories" of a rented keyboard. 

Tuesday morning, I set up the LCMS International Mission display table. The exhibitors weren't situated in a highly trafficked path, but that didn't prevent me from having meaningful conversations with those who meandered through, and the Skittles needed replenishing each morning so someone was stopping by!

My colleague Rev. Joel Fritsche sits on the HT Board of Directors (BOD) and helped man the table when he wasn't otherwise occupied. Rounding out the OIM missionary contingent was Rev. J.P. Cima

As exhibitors, we also got to submit a slide that cycled through occasionally as people got situated for worship or other ballroom events. 

The opening Divine Services was sprinkled with Advent and Christmas hymns. I'm not mad. 

The conference days were ordered around worship: Morning Prayer at 9, Vespers at 1, Evening Prayer at 7, and Compline (as individual church groups) at 11, for those who were still awake. Most, if not all, of the corporate worship services featured a 100+ voice strong choir and/or instrumentalists. 

Between services, meals, and keynotes (or panels that could have gone on for hours beyond their scheduled end times, in the case of Thursday and Friday) were a full slate of breakaways. I led one on culture that I'd debuted at Beautiful Feet (see my July 2022 newsletter for the Reader's Digest version). 

I also got to attend some, like this one by former missionary colleague Rev. David Warner, who now serves a dual parish in the Black Hills of South Dakota. 

And this one, "Blood Everywhere," whose takeaway was that the OT sacrificial system pointed to Jesus. Perhaps my favorite, though, was on Psalm 23. The presenter zeroed in on the Hebrew word translated "follow" (v. 6) in most mainstream English versions, which can also be translated "pursue." Whaaaaaat?! Goodness and mercy pursue us!

Without attending the conference, I never would have learned about HT traditions like dividing the entire participant corps into Harry Potter-esque "houses" named for the symbols of the 4 Gospel writers (man, lion, bull, and eagle). Some groups got VERY competitive; one brought white T-shirts and dye in the four house colors so they could make spirit wear as soon as they learned their designation. Valuable points were up for grabs during nightly entertainment activities, like a chalk art competition. I'm still not sure how, but I got to be one of three judges. 

See the bull ("Bos") represented in the 1st prize winning masterpiece?

One morning toward the end of the conference, the emcee plugged "HT Abroad," an HT short-term team I'll be hosting in the DR next summer! A group of HT alums 18+ will lead a VBS at an inner city church plant using an HT curriculum (yes, HT has VBS curricula!) that's currently being translated into Spanish and spend intentional time in "retreat" daily. The organizers on the HT side are going to have to implement some kind of application process if immediate interest on the CCVs' part is any indication.

My HT selfie game is decidedly not on par with my Gathering selfie game, but when prorated based on % of attendees...let's face it, I'm going to know a bunch of people anytime there's a bunch of Lutherans together. I'm pictured here with Rev. Jonathan & Deac. Cheryl Naumann's granddaughters, Hannah and Ruth. 

Pastor Warner's wife Shelee and I are Bible study sisters. We made it a point to see each other every day!

Makia came to the DR in March with her church group from Wray, CO!

The last night of the conference, Joel & I co-hosted what a much more typical fireside chat looks like. Everyone learned about "island time" while we found the right place on campus, then we each started by telling our missionary stories, which evolved into fielding question after question about HT Abroad. 

Montana's pretty :) I was annoyed by the railing and window frames that blocked my dorm's mountain view, but I like how one of them, together with a ceiling light reflection, makes a cross. 


I didn't go to HT to pit it against the Youth Gathering and pick sides. Having just experienced the triennial high that is #LCMSYG, though, I naturally compared and contrasted the two. I see benefits and drawbacks to both, and I see why some congregations are fiercely loyal to one over the other. I'm grateful for the unprecedented opportunity I had to get the inside scoop. Even though I fell into a weird bucket in Bozeman, the staff 100% adopted me, adding me to their GroupMe chat and including me in their Friday evening celebratory dinner.

Despite Joel's 15 years of BOD service, OIM's relationship with HT is just now taking off. There are so many obvious avenues for collaboration it's a wonder it took us this long. Now that that train has left the station, though, I'm blessed to have a role. In addition to helping orchestrate HT Abroad, I've also been asked to draw on a skill I've honed in my time as an OIM missionary and do some content writing for HT. While in Bozeman, I came up with a brilliant idea for an article that ties Spanish grammar to the Gospel. 

And ultimately, the Gospel is what the Gathering and HT are both all about. The theme of both 2022 HT conferences, Bozeman and one this week in Valparaiso, IN, was "For You." The same Jesus that is In All Things was born for you, offers Himself and His means of grace for you, died for you, rose for you, and ascended to the Father's right hand from whence He will come again for you and all who believe in His Name. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ who is For You, 
Erin

Comments

You are such a busy lady! God is great, and you are so right in saying people will know you evwrywhere! You are always on the 'grow" for Christians and ways to expand. Well done. Keep on growing!! Love, hugs, and prayers