Four Years Later...

Turns out it had been four years ago to the day that I was last in Colorado during a pre-deployment network building tour when I stopped there last weekend between the LCMS Youth Gathering in Houston, TX, and a Higher Things conference in Bozeman, MT. Friends from my El Paso days, the Hills (Ken, Carol, and son Chris), had relocated to a beautiful new home in that time but still had room to host me. Carol promised we'd fill my short time with "joy and laughter, prayer and thanksgiving, memories and food!" and she did not disappoint. We caught up over avocado toast on the way home from the airport Friday and, together with the entire Hill clan, ravioli lasagna with strawberry shortcake for dessert that night. Before bed, she asked if I'd like to go for a "2 or 3 mile hike" on Saturday. 









SIX miles later, we were sweaty, dehydrated, and more than ready to inhale some "fine Latin fusion" but proud of ourselves for conquering Castlewood Canyon in 90+ degree heat with little shade. 

Sunday, we attended the Hills' church, Our Father Lutheran Church (OFLC) in Centennial. They adopted me early on in my career with the OIM and have been a rock ever since. The 8:00 am service opened with "The Church's One Foundation," a hymn that has new meaning to me after having experienced the Church in many places, and featured a brilliant sermon on forgiveness as part of a series on the life of David. The pastor I most often liaise with, Rev. Micah Steiner, has three weeks of sabbatical left, but the Rev. Nate Peregoy introduced me after the service, and I had ample time to chat with acquaintances old and new in the Narthex. 


Pastor Steiner's mom!

That is, until it was time for brunch with the Benevolence Committee. The Hills and I scooted out just in time to meet outgoing member Keith and his partner in crime, Scott, at a nearby First Watch. I fielded their barrage of questions between bites of French toast. 


L to R: Keith, me, Scott. 

L to R: Ken, me, Carol. 

Sunday afternoon we made two home visits so I could see a few others before my Monday morning flight to Bozeman. 

1. The Stuebes, members of OFLC who came on numerous trips to El Paso during my tenure there. 

2. Ken & Carol's daughter & son-in-law's house, for monster trucks with grandson Charlie (pictured) and take-and-bake homemade pizza that we took home to Ken and Chris. 

L to R: Carol, me, granddaughter Elli. 

Lord willing, it won't be another four years before I see these dear friends and have the chance to thank the wildly generous saints at OFLC in person again!

Until next time, blessings!

Comments