La vida nunca es fácil

There are SO. MANY. beautiful things about life in Latin America. More than I could list, truly. 

But there are also so many things like THIS. Rarely can I think of a good example on the spot, but here's one that typifies how you just know some things are going to go...or not go, as may be the case. 

My car was in desperate need of new tires, to the point that I probably shouldn't have driven to Punta Cana to meet my family on them. When Dominicans tell you your neumáticos are in mal estado, it's time. So, a month ago, right as they opened, I rolled into a place recommended by two experienced missionaries with Carlos, a missionary spouse, accompanying me. About an hour later, voilà - four new Firestone All Seasons. End of post, right? No. 

New tires need to be properly aligned, but the guy who performs alignments was sick that day. In the spirit of good customer service, the kind receptionist made arrangements with a similar place across the street to handle the alignment. NOW we're good, right? No. 

After waiting my turn, the second place hoisted my car up, took a look underneath, and called Carlos & I over. They told me I needed to replace a broken rótula derecha, some kind of ball and socket. They sent us to a mechanic a 4 min. drive away. Don't even ask, though - still no. 

The mechanic didn't have the part in stock, but said they could order it, have it delivered, and return the car to me by midday. We caught a cab back to the neighborhood, where I made a French onion galette and waited. 


Hearing nothing by mid-afternoon, I took the liberty of WhatsApping them. The part was coming from Santo Domingo, they said, and wouldn't arrive until Friday, so I Ubered back to pick up my car so I could use it in the interim and made some scones. Stress-baking much?


I bet you can guess what happened Friday. Nothing. Nor Saturday. In frustration, I reached out to an independent mechanic beloved by many in the missionary community, confident that Bienvenido would be my saving grace. And thus ends my story. Psych!

I left Bienvenido to his devices, and I left the country for 2 1/2 weeks! Hearing nothing from him, either, sometime in Colorado I WhatsApped the dealer to which I take my car every 5,000 km. for maintenance. Surely they would know if they had the part in stock or could order it for me. In the end, the latter was a yes, but they could tell me nothing without me bringing them the vehicle when I got back. In the meantime, I told one of the regional conference planners I wasn't comfortable driving to Punta Cana again on misaligned tires and would need a ride.

I finally had a chunk of time during which to take the car in yesterday and the ability to leave it overnight. And at around 4 pm this afternoon...this happened! 


Turns out I'm not actually driving to Punta Cana - I'm roadtripping with the Benevenuti family - but I feel infinitely better even bopping around town knowing I'm not damaging a significant investment. As Carlos put it while we were staring up at the undercarriage of my car at the place across the street, "la vida nunca es fácil" (life's never easy), but I wouldn't change a thing (OK, much) about mine. 

Until next time, blessings in Christ!

Comments

Carol said…
Wow! Tu tienes el regalo de verdadera paciencia, mi amiga! Dios te bendiga!